Sunday, September 22

A Love Hate Thing


Lobo Plantation.

A little underground Cuban oasis. Dressed as elaborately as the time and setting, this joint is almost like a beautiful badass mirage. Tucked right in the heart of the CBD (and in such close proximity to its neighbouring cousins, Baxter Inn, Grandmas...), this young Havana escape is added into the mix. Just when I thought Clarence street couldn't get any better. 

Love. Cocktails. On Point. Some of my favourites are the Nuclear Daiquiri and Jamaican Julep. This is also the joint where I've had the best Mojito. Although overall, the food isn't impressive enough to hold you breath for, a special shout out is warranted for the three dishes that is just outstanding-- Baked Cheese balls, Tamales and the amazing Black Bean Stew (YES. CHICKEN.) Oh and the Banana Chips (Gadaaymm)! And as we like it, all wrapped up in tropical button up shirts with bow ties and floral ties as finishing touches, the some of the friendliest and finest mixologists are definitely amazing at what they do. 


Here's my cocktails list I'd like to share with y'all : Jamaican Julep, Pre Elixir, Millionaire, Mojito, Meassage In A Bottle, South East Side and my (not on the menu) personally recommended love, The Nuclear Daiquiri. 

However, this place could really amp it up by delivering ace customer service-- specifically to the ones on the floor. I mean, when I ask for 'your recommendation' I'm after a personal answer not a recitation of the menu. This is where we develop a relationship. Don't waste the opportunity. Also, YES, congratulations on the five stars on Timeout Sydney! But a bunch of star rating shouldn't trigger any sort of cockiness so much as to start telling your customers (who most likely spend a couple of hundreds of dollars) to 'get the fuck out' when it's passed the licensed time. I'm pretty sure a simple 'Hey guys, the bars closed. Sorry to see you go but we've passed the licensed time! Hope you all had a great night! Until next time.' To the (not so) gentleman who told everyon to fuck off on Saturday night, you need to educate yourself, take either a Hospitality or People Skills Course or something. Better yet, take some pointers from the bar staff. Prior to this encounter, I've held a little love for Lobo and it has been quite a high personal recommendation of mine to my friends and those who have sought for my advice. Today, I sit here wondering and second guessing myself-- a place I don't like being in. 

Though, besides that little hump, I do love this place. That sexy bathroom, a bar filled with experienced and lovely bar tenders that will create a drink to blow your mind is what makes this world go round. I mean, despite the slightly mismatched choice of music, I come back again and again and again wanting more of those beautiful poison mixes. This is a Cuban rum bar joint. Let it be heard! Change your music (if you need suggestions, hit me up, I've got the perfect playlist), bring Havana to Sydney and get your groove on. This place has so much potential and a little tweak here and there wouldn't hurt.

Oh how I love you and I love you and I hate you and I love you.

Of course, you must check this Carribean pocket out for yourself. (Serious Voice) Thinking of a Friday gig? Unless you love the breath of fresh air and the cry of the city's sirens, get in there early. 5pm early. Let me know what you think!

The Lobo Plantation on Urbanspoon

No comments: